RE: Newbie Info

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 11:19 -0500, Danny Mooney wrote:
> So in this type of OS files don't get fragmented?
>
> Dan

It has to do with how unix and file systems are constructed. In Linux
the next block in a file is found through inodes containing 13 (If I
remember correctly) pointers that either to a block of the file or
another inode that has 13 pointers, which leads to indirect access to
the next block. I think 2 levels of indirection are allowed. defraging
such a system is not meaningful.
Whoever would lie usefully should lie seldom.