Re: SELinux last straw

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 09:04:24AM +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 16:45 +0100, Chris G wrote:
> > I didn't even install it but I still get SELinux security messages in
> > my log file.  I suspect that "turning it off" will have even less
> > effect than not installing it to start with.
>
> Why do you jump to that conclusion?  I have other installed software
> that's usually turned off, it does nothing unless run.  I don't expect a
> disabled SELinux to be any different.

But it is, it runs and outputs messages in my logs which say that it
has stoppped some things which would otherwise have happened (apache
access to some files if I remember).

OK, this isn't actually 'running' it but from a users point of view
it's no different.  If, when asked if I want X installed I say no and
then later I see in my logs 'X has done something', what else am I to
conclude.

As I said before I think it's more of an issue of education and
documentation and wording.  When the installation process asks if I
want SELinux or not it should maybe be asking if I want certain
SELinux functions to operate rather than whether I do or don't want it
as a whole.

> You did install it, you can't avoid it.  You don't have to use it,
> though.

Yes, OK, but that's not what it sounds like when you say 'No thank
you' during the installation process.

--
Chris Green