Re: kde 3.5.8 for fc6?

John Summerfield wrote:

> Olaf Mueller wrote:
>> Strong wrote:

>>> I ponder the same problem. Is there any idea on what will the linux
>>> be?
>> The next kubuntu version, I belief April 2008, with long term
>> support for desktop, that mean 3 years.
>> It's a shame cause of fc6 is here running very stable as my desktop.
>> It recognizes all my hardware and everything performes just fine.
>
> then go to CentOS5 or Scientific Linux 5. SL5 has advantages over C4
> in that it has more repos enabled; I like Pine, and got installed
> from a repo while I was running yum to install the missing bits from
> my nahant-clone nee FC3 system I was moving from.
I am using CentOS for my server, and since I have changed to this
distribution my server is rock solid. So I like CentOS very well, as a
server, but not as a desktop pc. In my opinion CentOS (5.0) doesn't
support enough hardware to use it on *my* desktops. For example one of
my desktop pcs has 4 scsi scanners with 4 different scsi cards for
fast simultaneous scanning. CentOS 5.0 only recognizes *1* of the 4
scsi cards. This is very mysterious cause fc6 get all these cards very
well and CentOS 5.0 is something like a offspring of fc6, isn't it?

Also the soundchip of my Toshiba Tecra notebook isn't supported any
more by CentOS 5.0 (and centosplus kernels) cause of missing isa sound
modules in the kernel. Fc6 supported this soundchip very well.

It will be very difficult for me to change a desktop that makes such a
great job. But it makes for me no sense to use a software over its
point of EOL.
On the other hand I am very happy to get a distribution like kubuntu
for my desktop which has such a great kde support.

regards
Olaf