Re: Grub Manual

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 12:29 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Figure 3:
> title Fedora (2.6.22.9-91.fc7)
>         root (hd0,5)

          ^^^^^^^^^^^^  GRUB's "root"

>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-91.fc7 ro root=/dev/sda5  quiet

                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  OS's root

And there's another root, the /root home directory for the root user.

>  From our work above we are not interested in the title but we want to
> figure out what the root is.

You *need* to reword your descriptions, *very* *precisely*, and
*accurately*.  Also, producing a ready-reckoner brief cheat sheet about
something isn't really a manual.

GRUB has its own structure, its "root" is only used by it (as a root) to
choose which software to boot.  The OS has a different directory
structure, its "root" is different than GRUB's.  GRUB's root is
typically a boot sub-directory off the system's root.

The GRUB info file is fairly good, just a monster to navigate.  Trying
to simplify what it says is dumbing it down.  Untangling the navigation
would be far more practical than simplifying it down to the point where
it's only applicable to a few circumstances.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.9-91.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.