multi-core CPU support

I recently got a laptop with a multi-core CPU (Intel Core 2 Duo), so I
decided to have a quick look at some of the things related to that.

I tried the CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor applet for the Gnome taskbar,
but it errored-out saying that it couldn't be used.  That didn't sound
right, so I had a look through the service configuration, and noticed
that the cpuspeed and irqbalance daemons were stopped, despite being set
to start.

Starting them worked without any errors, so it wasn't as if they *can't*
be run (such as when they're set to start on a single-core system).
They just didn't start, for some unknown reason, when the system boots
up.

I was wondering whether anybody else had noticed whether those daemons
weren't running for them, when they should have been.

--
(This box runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.