Re: SELinux revisited

> Greetings;
>
> Running 2.6.23 here, on a AMD XP-2800, gig of ram, lots of drive.
>
> I thought maybe I should give selinux another chance here.  So I removed the
> selinux=0 in my grub.conf, and edited its .conf file in /etc/sysconfig to set
> it for permissive.
>
> On the reboot, the relabel wasn't done, so I looked around and reset a
> fresh /.autorelabel file and rebooted again.  It was already present however.
>
> This time it did a very short autorelabel, maybe 2 screens full and was done
> in just a couple of seconds, at which point it went into yet another reboot
> cycle making me think it was stuck in a loop or something.

Sounds like you are going about it in a good way FWIW.

> But the next reboot then had auditd advise me there was an error in line 16
> of /etc/audit/auditd.rules.

That file looks like this here, in full:

# This file contains the auditctl rules that are loaded
# whenever the audit daemon is started via the initscripts.
# The rules are simply the parameters that would be passed
# to auditctl.

# First rule - delete all
-D

# Increase the buffers to survive stress events.
# Make this bigger for busy systems
-b 320

# Feel free to add below this line. See auditctl man page

Here's the state of the selinux packages here for reference

# rpm -qa | grep selinux
libselinux-2.0.14-9.fc7
libselinux-python-2.0.14-9.fc7
selinux-policy-targeted-2.6.4-48.fc7
selinux-policy-2.6.4-48.fc7
# rpm -qa | grep audit
audit-libs-python-1.5.6-2.fc7
audit-libs-1.5.6-2.fc7
audit-1.5.6-2.fc7
# chkconfig --list | grep audit
auditd          0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

I would nuke the entries at the end of your /etc/audit/auditd.rules and
retry.

-Andy