Re: GRUB Question

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Michael Wiktowy wrote:
On 10/16/07, John Pierce <john.j35@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Probably the wrong list, but here goes.

I have this working version of fedora 7 on sda, I installed mandriva
2008, for a test drive for the wife, on sdb.  There was not an option
to omit installing the boot loader, I let it install it on  sdb.  The
question, can I make the grub on sda pass control to the grub on sdb?
If so, how?

I know how to boot the beta of fedora 8 that I put on that drive, but
I cannot figure out how to pass control to the sdb boot loader.

Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated.
If you installed your mandriva bootloader on the MBR of sdb that
points to a /boot partition on sdb#, you can just add a stanza in your
Fedora 7 grub.conf on sda to chainload sdb ... just treat your other
grub like you would a Windows partition (without all the crazy BIOS
drive order swapping and partition hiding needed).

How do you chainload to the MBR? If you specify hd0,0, it looks for
the boot loader in the boot record of the first partition, and not
the MBR. You can get around that by installing grub stage 1 on the

Don't want a partition? Don't specifiy one.
(hd0)

Depending on build options, these may work too:
(cd)
(nb)

--

Cheers