Re: Logging denied packets (iptables)

On Wed, October 17, 2007 2:05 pm, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>     One of our offices has several network ranges blocked in iptables
> (essentially '-A INPUT -s www.xxx.yyy.zzz/aa -j DROP').  What I'd like
> to do is create a log entry each time a packet is dropped, IF it matches
> any of those networks.  I think I need to assign all of those networks
> to a "group" and then log dropped packets from that group only.  And
> while I realize this might have other ramifications, such as logs
> growing exponentially, for now we're taking small steps.  Later on I can
> then look for things like logging the same IP only once...
>
>     So how do I tell iptables to create a group or name, or whatever
> it's called for those ranges, and then log dropped packets from those
> ranges only?

Here's what I do:

-N LOGDROP
-A LOGDROP -j LOG --log-prefix "$IPTABLES drop:"
-A LOGDROP -j DROP

Then you can add lines for the things you want logged like this:

-A INPUT -s www.xxx.yyy.zzz/aa -j LOGDROP

I tend to use LOGDROP, rather than DROP, for everything I drop, except for
some really common things.

Mike