Re: dvd writer compatibility

On 10/15/07, jack craig <jcraig@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hi fedora folks,
>
> i am about to upgrade to fc7 on my home system.  so far it has only a cd rw,
> i want to add a dvd-writer that i can install fc7 from.
>
> i'd like to ask what dvd-writers are known to work? any blu-ray models?

My sense is that vanilla DVD/RW drives have very good Linux
compatibility. I have an LG GSA-4160B (there is likely a much newer
model out now) that has served me well for a few of Fedora releases
now. I haven't really come across any that haven't worked out of the
box.

Getting into HD-DVD and Blue-ray burners might get you into bleeding
edge troubles as well as DRM issues. But I have no experience with
those is I am avoiding them for the aformentioned reasons.

/Mike