Re: Lacie Mobile driver is unknown to Fedora

Tim wrote:

> One thing might be how your connecting.  I just got an external drive
> that doesn't appear when hotplugged.  It only appears when you turn on
> its power.  I have a digital camera that behaves the same way.  So, for
> both of them, I have to plug them in, then turn them on.  That might be
> a problem for people who leave drives plugged in all the time, and turn
> on computer and drive at the same time.
>
> I think some manufacturers may have skimped on designing a good USB
> system, and have one that only sends out its information once.

One thing I have found with the drive cases that are powered off the
USB buss is that if they have 2 connectors on the computer end, that
it helps to plug in the power-only one first, and let the drive spin
up, and then plug in the full connector.

I have also run into a case with its own power supply that has
problems if you make the USB connection before powering up the case.
The electronics are powered off the USB buss, and the drive powered
off the case PS. So if the drive is not powered, the electronics do
not see a drive, and it does not appear to see the drive if it is
powered up later.

One way to check if the electronics is powered off the USB bus is to
plug in the USB cable with the drive off, and see if it shows up in
the logs, or when you run lsusb. If it does, you will probably get
more dependable results if you power up the case, let the drive spin
up, and then plug in the USB cable.

As far as digital cameras, I have run into some that power up in one
mode if there is a USB connection, and in another if there is not.
The good ones change modes when you plug in the USB cable, but I
have run into ones that do not unless you turn them off, and on
again. The no-name ones tend to be the ones that have problems. (I
should be keeping track of the ones that give problems.)

Mikkel