Re: Hosts file

On Sat, 2007-10-13 at 16:34 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-10-13 at 08:29 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> >
> > But, having things done automatically when you are unaware they are
> > going to be done is never helpful, IMHO.
>
> Yes, and no...  If it works, and the user wouldn't have been able to
> figure things out, it would have been helpful to them.  Which tends to
> be the point of things like DHCP, network manager, and so on...
>
> > In this case, if indeed the hosts file is being overwritten by DHCP,
> > it is certainly not what the OP anticipated or wanted since he is left
> > with a blank hosts file.
>
> Though, I'd say that's a fault condition.
>
> The sorts of things that a DHCP client can and can't do are user
> configurable, by customising "/etc/dhclient.conf"

You have it sort of backwards. /etc/dhclient.conf tells the DHCP server
what the client wants it do do. It does not determine what the DHCP
server is allowed to do on its own volition. If the file is empty and it
is on my client the hosts file should,d be untouched.

Quickly looking at the man page for that file I see no provision for the
host file to be changed but maybe it is too early in the morning.
It's recently come to Fortune's attention that scientists have stopped
using laboratory rats in favor of attorneys. Seems that there are not
only more of them, but you don't get so emotionally attached. The only
difficulty is that it's sometimes difficult to apply the experimental
results to humans. [Also, there are some things even a rat won't do.
Ed.]