Re: semi-OT: easy backup solution for FC5

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 18:10:35 -0500
Peter Horst <phorst@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> BTW, would you (Frank) mind sharing what type of drives/RAID
> configuration you use with the SS4000?

I have four 300gb hard drives in it using a RAID5  or "Data Striping with
Striped Parity" as it is described in the manual.  If any of the drives fails
(or anything else that's bad happens), the machine will send me an email to tell
me about the fault.  I can pull the bad drive, put a new one in the tray,
slam 'er back in and all of the formatting and everything else happens
automatically and transparently after that, without any data loss. It's
hot-swappable, so you don't even need to switch it off.

My four 300gb drives give me 837.49gb of total usable capacity in this
configuration.  The initial formatting took about a day to complete.  Since
then, it just sits on a cement block in a dark corner of my basement and works
with no attention required at all.

> That thing looks incredibly sweet.

It is a very cool toy.  All setup is done through a web page, similar to
setting up a router.  I like it a lot, mostly because it's a "just works"
machine.