Re: [Fedora] semi-OT: easy backup solution for FC5

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
Hi - I'm wondering if there is something in the Fedora/Linux world comparable to the Windows-only Maxtor OneTouch external HD - i.e. a more or less idiot-proof automatic (incremental) backup system. Time is tight right now, but I'm getting really paranoid not having my ~100GB Fedora machine backed up. Any recommendations?
Thanks much -

Well, not exactly like the OneTouch solution, but I can tell you what I do to backup 15 servers every night. I have 1 dedicated machine that's the backup server. It has a large RAID 5 setup in it for data storage. All of the servers will run rsync every night and backup their data to the backup machine. I use a system of hardlinks between backups which allows the snapshots to take little space (compared to the actual one) and it allows me to keep anywhere between 2 to 6 weeks worth of data that way.

Backuppc (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/) will do all of this automatically, also compressing the files and finding duplicates across machines and hardlinking to save additional space - and it has a nice web interface for management and browsing backups.

By the way, a backuppc wiki is being started at http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/.

But, for a single machine you might just use an exteral USB drive (or rotate a couple) with a script that rsync's each filesystem to it.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx