Re: symlink of /home causes mail delivery failure

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
Hi all,

I tried to make my /home directory a symlink to something on a different disk (i.e., symlink across filesystems). It appeared to work fine when browsing directories, but mail delivery stopped!

I'm using Postfix, with procmail doing the local delivery.

Is there any reason that procmail (or anything else) would fail if /home is a symlink?

- Mike

I would not know. Depends on the type of link perhaps? My /home is also in a different partition but I connect it to this main tree with an entry in /ect/fstab and mine looks like this:
[karl@k5di ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
/dev/sda5               /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
/dev/sda1               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/sda7               /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sda6               /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2

Notice the line for /home and this has home look and feel like it is attached. But do a $df and it will show you it is really /dev/sda7

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User