Re: Has anybody upgraded eclipse?

Ric Moore wrote:
On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 15:39 -0700, Alan M. Evans wrote:
I've been itching to try the latest eclipse,
<snippage>
So there it is, the shiny yes/no prompt just sitting there like the
history eraser button tempting me to answer yes. But I'm terrified. Has
anybody tried this? Did it work?

Ha! The old "Space Madness" syndrome from "Ren & Stimpy" Pushing the
"Shiny Red Button" wiped out the universe and reality itself for
Stimpy. Some lesson to learn for some kid viewing it, huh? <grins>
So, there ya go. To push or not to push, that is certainly the question!
My guts clinch up at the pondering of it. Ric

Well, I tried to install the latest eclipse from the development repo. Yum failed to resolve all the dependencies, failed with some library related to mplayer. It wanted to install new versions of gnome, kde, open office, gcc, glibc, anaconda and lots of other stuff, totally unrelated to eclipse.

I'VE NEVER SEEN SUCH A FUCKED UP DEPENDENCY MESS! Oh well, it's development.

I would have ended up with half of an FC8 system. I might have been interesting, but probably not too stable.

I really wanted to push the Shiny Red Button, but it wouldn't let me.

Regards,

John