Re: Problem in changing password

On 10/8/07, Roopnarine, Peter <proopnarine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

Peter's question raises a valid point when requesting assistance.  Can
you please provide the context in which this is happening.  Are you
logged in as root?  su to root?  su - to root?  Can you provide the
sceen output of what you are trying to do (perhaps via using the
script command to capture the commands and output.

Also I gather you confirmed that the root account exists in
/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow?  Can you post same (minus the hash for
the password of course)?

And of course we are assuming a standalone system with no other method
of authentication beyond a default F7 install. Is that correct?

Without this info you may be left with either no suitable answer or
having to try a bunch of suggestions that would have been avoided has
the info been provided when stating your problem.

Jacques B.