PCIe NICs not recognized

Hi there,

I'm running into a problem with PCIe NICs on my fedora 7 installation
running the latest kernel - 2.6.22.9-91.fc7PAE i386.
After a boot, the onboard NIC is not recognized (it's on the PCIe bus) -
vendor ID always shows as 0001. I thought ok, before I spend too much
time debugging, I plug in a different PCIe network card - same problem -
vendor ID 0001. I'm saying that kudzu sees the NICs, but apparently they
can't be associated with the right drivers. lspci sees them as well.
The board is an Abit Fatal1ty  F-I90HD if that helps.

Now the funny thing is that if I reboot the system after I use kexec with
the same kernel, the NICs are recognized, the vendorIDs are different and
correct. How can that be? Is the bios in the way somehow??

Any clues appreciated, where to look, what to check...

Thanks
Amin