Re: Web repo browser

On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 11:31 +0200, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 03:42:30PM -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> > > Not that I know of.  There's repoview, but it has no capability to
> > > search.  There's also the PackageDB, but right now that's mostly for
> > > developers to manage permissions and such on the packages.  It may
> > > grow the ability to display more user-focused information, but I don't
> > > if that's planned for anytime soon.
>
> > > The Debian package database (which Ubuntu uses), is fairly handy.
> > Actually I find it not that handy. It is obscure how you add third party
> > software the the Ubuntu repo list. Where are the Dell wireless programs
> > found?
>
> Use 'Synaptic'. Subscribe to all repos (using synaptic config)
> en do a 'search'. You can't have it any easier than that.
>
> Alexander
I am sorry I started this. We are not on an Ubuntu list. But the process
you describe above does not work. I have tried it.

Q: How can I choose what groups to post in? ... Q: How about an example?
A: Ok. Let's say you want to report that Gretzky has been traded from
the Oilers to the Kings. Now right away you might think rec.sport.hockey
would be enough. WRONG. Many more people might be interested. This is a
big trade! Since it's a NEWS article, it belongs in the news.* hierarchy
as well. If you are a news admin, or there is one on your machine, try
news.admin. If not, use news.misc. The Oilers are probably interested in
geology, so try sci.physics. He is a big star, so post to sci.astro, and
sci.space because they are also interested in stars. Next, his name is
Polish sounding. So post to soc.culture.polish. But that group doesn't
exist, so cross-post to news.groups suggesting it should be created.
With this many groups of interest, your article will be quite bizarre,
so post to talk.bizarre as well. (And post to comp.std.mumps, since they
hardly get any articles there, and a "comp" group will propagate your
article further.) You may also find it is more fun to post the article
once in each group. If you list all the newsgroups in the same article,
some newsreaders will only show the the article to the reader once!
Don't tolerate this. -- Brad Templeton, _Emily Postnews Answers Your
Questions on Netiquette_