Re: Duplicating CUPS Printer installation

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 15:05 +0100, Tony Molloy wrote:
> On Friday 05 October 2007 14:22, Tim wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 14:00 +0100, Tony Molloy wrote:
> > > I need to set up a default CUPS printer on lots of machines in labs
> > > ( several hundred ;-( ) running Fedora 7. I've got it configured and
> > > working on one machine. Is there any way to duplicate the settings
> > > from that machine so that I could install the printer on the other
> > > machines without running system-config-printer on each machine.
> > >
> > > It's not as simple as copying the /etc/cups/printers.conf file to each
> > > machine.
> >
> > Are you serving one printer out to all of those computers?  If so, you
> > shouldn't have to configure anything on them, they'll find the printer
> > being served to them, and use it.  So long as you configure the server
> > to allow access (might need both SELinux and firewall tweaking on the
> > server, I can't remember).
> >

> No, the printer(s) are on a windows boxen sigh!!! shared between all the
> machines in a lab. It's a commercial printer control solution for dual boot
> machines.

That is not a problem. If you identify the Printers on the Windpws
machines as sharable and run IIS on the machine with the printers,
the printers will be available through CUPS browsing on the Linux
machines. No further configuration needs to be done on the Linux
machines except maybe setting the default printer and configuring the
client.conf file if the Linux machines and the Linux machines are on
different lans. If they are on the same lan then even the latter does
not have to be done.
<snip>
You will remember something that you should not have forgotten.