Re: Duplicating CUPS Printer installation

Tony Molloy wrote:
On Friday 05 October 2007 15:26, Karl Larsen wrote:
Tony Molloy wrote:
On Friday 05 October 2007 14:26, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 14:00 +0100, Tony Molloy wrote:
Hi All,

I need to set up a default CUPS printer on lots of machines in labs (
several hundred ;-( ) running Fedora 7. I've got it configured and
working on one machine. Is there any way to duplicate the settings from
that machine so that I could install the printer on the other machines
without running system-config-printer on each machine.

It's not as simple as copying the /etc/cups/printers.conf file to each
machine.

Regards,

Tony
What's in /etc/cups/lpoptions?  If it says anything about the default
printer, that's the file you want to copy.

Jonathan
No it's empty both on the working box and the second box.

Tony
    I'm lost. To share a single printer with X other computers is new to
me. For sure there must be a common data transport between the X
computers like a LAN. Now if the printer is going to stay in one place
then there is a kind of printer you just hook to the LAN. It has no
computer associated with it. But all computers are told to connect to
the printer via Internet.

    My wife was given one of these, a HP and I never got it working with
a cable. I had to set up a LAN and hook it to that :-)

    Is this your system Tony?

Bit tricker than that. We use dual boot, well actually triple boot, machines in our labs ( Linux, Windows2000 and WindowsXP ). So we need to be able to print to the printer from all of those.

Then we need to charge the students for printing so we have a commercial print solution installed on a windows server which looks after the various print queues and the student credits. These queues are not automatically discovered by cups. So I have to configure the print queues on each box and there are lots of them, 350+.

Tony

--

 Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
 Linux User

Thanks Tony, sounds like a fun Computer Engineering Lab.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User