Re: wpa_supplicant

On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 15:41 +0000, Mike C wrote:
> I have been playing with wpa_supplicant - and on one Dell d610 running
> up-to-date F7 I can get the wpa_supplicant running (both manual and daemon) to
> get a stable working link to thw AP with the ipw2200 inbuilt wireless card. This
> is using wpa_supplicant to connect using WEP encryption to the local AP. At this
> point I believe that setting up a WPA network section in wpa_supplicant.conf
> will likely get a working connection with WPA encryption.
>
> However I have also been trying two other systems which need to be tested before
> thinking about switching encryption on the AP from WEP to WPA, and I will give
> the current situation with each before asking a few questions on this list.
>
> a) Laptop 2 is an Amilo with no inbuilt wireless and it runs F7 fully up to date
> with an Edimax USB wireless card. By compiling the rt73 driver myself this can
> connect nicely to the WEP encrypted AP, but the rt73 driver is not supported in
> wpa_supplicant version 0.5.7 in F7. There is nominally a driver in the current
> kernel (rt2x00) which has rt73usb support, and is supported in the current
> version of wpa_supppicant, but it does not work with this wireless card! I
> understand that rt2x00 is under heavy development now. However the rt73 driver
> does support WPA encryption natively so it should in principle be possible to
> get a connection to a WPA encrypted AP with a little extra work.
>
> Has anyone managed to achieve this ? If so how? Are there details on a web page
> somewhere?
>
> b) Laptop 3 is a Samsung Q35 running FC6 and has an IPW3945 wireless card in it.
> With the recent kernels and the iwl3945 driver it has been possible to get this
> driver working and connected with a stable WEP encrypted link to the AP.
> In this machine the FC6 version of wpa_supplicant is 0.4.9-1 and seems not to
> support the iwl3945 driver yet!
>
> So I have a dilemma here - it would be nice to have all three laptops able to
> make a WPA encrypted connection to the AP. However it seems that at present I
> can only get one of them to potentially achieve this! Maybe the second with a
> tail wind!
>
> So the questions are:
>
> 1) It may be possible to get the EDimax USB dongle to get a WPA link going but
> this is not tested - has anyone else managed to achieve this in F7? If so how,
> and is there a web page describing the details?
>
> 2) I am reluctant to move the Samsung from FC6 to F7 yet since I am not 100%
> confident that the ipw3945 card will be supported in a stable way with the
> iwl3945 driver in F7 (anyone done this?) but also I would like to know if there
> will soon be a version of wpa_supplicant in FC6 that does work with iwl3945 -
> has anyone managed to do this successfully yet?
>
> Is there a test version of wpa_supplicant for FC6 available that will work in
> FC6 with the iwl3945 card using the iwl3945 driver in the latest FC6 kernel?
>
> Thanks

In addition to all these questions , why don't you use NetworkMamager.
If you did you would not have to worry about configuring wpa_supplicant
and if the cards are supported then WEP and various WPA's are supported,
With and without LEAP or PEAP for example.
Be free and open and breezy! Enjoy! Things won't get any better so get
used to it.