shell variable security

I guess I was asking in general how you can be sure your variables are safe.

Maybe it is more complicated than that?  I really have just heard warnings from

everyone, so I was taking pre-emptive measures.

I tried a few things myself too and also could not get that problem.

I tried making a file called test and doing things like

     K="$1"

     echo $K

and then calling

     test "hello\";date"