Re: gdm login screen fails to load

Hi Frank
did you ever check the gdm config files:
/usr/share/gdm/defaults.conf
/etc/gdm/custom.conf

the second has priority over the first.

could it be a chooser/greeter issue?
the chooser being a display/screen, where you can select a remote host for login via XDCMP
the greeter being the normal login screen.

on the greeter display (the login screen) you can open the options and then select the chooser display. IF YOU DO THAT, YOU WILL NEVER SEE A GREETER DISPLAY ANY MORE, unless you change the /etc/gdm/custom.conf manually. if, inadvertantly, you may have selected the chooser, then the issue is similar to your mistery.

suomi

Frank Cox wrote:
This is an issue with a Centos 5/LTSP 4.2 server that I set up over the past
week and put into service over the weekend.  I ran this up the flagpole in the
Centos mailing list and didn't get anything too useful as a reply from there,
yet.

This is a mystery.

It survived a few reboots and whatnot with no problem over the past week when
I was setting it up.

I moved it to another location on Saturday afternoon and, again, it booted up
and worked fine.  I set it up on the network that it's supposed to be on, and
everything was working fine when I left.

It was rebooted yesterday and now the graphical login screen doesn't
appear.  Everything appears to load normally but once the text login screen
appears, that's it.  No gdm login screen.

If I log in at the text console and type startx I am told that X is already
running.

If I hit ctrl-alt-f7 at the text login screen I see a completely blank/black
screen.  If I then hit ctrl-alt-esc the gdm login screen comes up and
everything works as it should.

If I switch to runlevel 3 and log into the text console and type startx,
my desktop shows up just as it should.

There are no errors that I can see in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Again, this all worked fine up until yesterday, and nothing changed.  I
rebooted it several times and I consistently get the behaviour detailed here.

So, what could be going wrong and preventing the graphical login screen from

It's not a really major problem because I know how to get gdm up on the server
now (hit ctrl-alt-F7 followed by ctrl-alt-esc) but it's not working the way
that it should be.

This machine is a LTSP 4.2 server and all of the terminals bring up their gdm
login screens every time without any problem, even when the server itself is
still sitting at the text login screen.