Re: Desktop Frozen after trying to launch NFS mounted folder from Nautilus

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 00:04 +0530, Sudheer Satyanarayana wrote:
> I do have an NFS mount entry in my fstab
>
> x.x.x.x:/path/to/dir  /path/to/local/dir nfs
>
> But it didn't affect the desktop or Nautilus this time. The system
> mounts NFS at start-up if it is available. But when I restarted the
> computer, NFS was still unavailable .  I think I got an error message
> during the start up process.

Usually, you'd get a long wait as it tried, and waiting, before it gives
up and lets the next thing in the boot sequence do its thing.  It can
get stuck for several minutes.

> After I restarted the desktop was restored and I can now launch
> Nautilus. I don't know what exactly is the problem with NFS server. It
> is actually not fixed till now(another mystery to be solved). If I
> click the desktop shortcut icon to the NFS mounted folder,
> Nautilus opens the folder with no contents in it.

You're seeing the empty mount point, which would normally have the
remote end mounted over the top of it.

> I would be glad to implement on-demand mounting when the remote mounts
> get accessed when intended. Could you provide  any links which has
> step by step instructions to do it?

You need to have the auto filing system daemon running on the client
(the one you're mounting things on).  Probably the autofs and netfs
services (I'm looking at FC5, at the moment).  Then, when that's
running, if you try to access the /net directory, it tries to reach the
mount you've mentioned.

The /net directory is empty.  The first sub-directory you write in your
request (e.g. /net/fileserver) is the hostname for the server you want
to connect to, the next sub-directory is for the exported folder you
want from it (e.g. /net/fileserver/home).

Syntax:  /net/hostname/exported-share-name

Then, anything after that is just further down the directory tree of the
remote system.

e.g. /net/server/home/tim/data/finance-records/2007-10-02.text

My server's hostname is, rather unimaginitively, "server".  I've
exported my /home partition.  /tim/data/... and so on, is a filepath
within the /home partition.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.