Fwd: udev problems

Sorry for the cross-post guys, but I'm not having much luck on the redhat-specific mailing lists, so I thought I would try here.  It's an issue specific to udev which is in Fedora Core so it's essentially the same principle and I would be having the same issue had I installed Fedora instead of RHEL.

-Daniel

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Daniel Corbe < daniel.junkmail@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Oct 1, 2007 10:28 AM
Subject: udev problems
To: redhat-install-list@xxxxxxxxxx

Dear Community,

I recently installed RHEL4 on a brand new Compaq DL380.

Due to the age of the kernel proper support for my cciss RAID card isn't present (HP put out a new driver in the newer kernels) and by default in Redhat Kernels the Broadcom NetXtreme II gigabit ethernet drivers are disabled.

Needless to say this ruled out a conventional system installation.

I wound up booting off of a live CD with a newer kernel and more driver support.  I used this to partition my hard drive and install all the necessary RPMs by hand.  I then installed fresh kernel sources and compiled a kernel using a redhat .config files with some changes of my own (like the ethernet card, for example).

Everything went swimmingly well, except for udev which is now causing me chronic headaches.

There seems to be little documentation about how udev should behave in RedHat (or maybe I'm using the wrong search terms, or perhaps I just don't get it)

After running MAKEDEV it seems like there's a LOT of sutff missing.  For example I don't have any /dev/pts or /dev/shm stuff and gnome-terminal is complaining about it.

(sorry for the length of this post, to ask a simple question)

So my question is:  How do I PROPERLY initialize udev after having manually installed my RHEL4 system without the aide of Anaconda?

Regards,
Daniel