keyboard switching between different layouts

I'm using fedora 7, 64-bit edition with KDE 3.5.7. I'm using two layouts for the keyboard, us(English) and ara(Arabic). I was trying to configure a global shortcut for switching between the two layouts.
Unfortunately, the global shortcuts in KDE doesn't support using alt-shift or ctrl-shift to switch between different layouts. KDE by default has the combination alt-ctrl-k for switching, so this method isn't convenient.
The second alternative was to use kxkb, a KDE front end to xkb, to enable switching between different groups using, the alt-shift for the group shift/lock option, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.
The third alternative was to edit xorg.conf, especially the InputDevice section related to the keyboard. I altered two lines in this section as follows:
Option "XkbLayout" "us,ara"
Option "XKbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
I then restarted the x server, but nothing ever changed. Still pressing alt-shift doesn't switch between layouts.
Is there a certain method to enable switching with the key combination alt-shift, or am I missing something in any of the previous methods?
Appreciating your feedback. Thanks for your support.