Re: symbolic links, dosemu and /etc/skel

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 10:06:59 -0500
"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dumb question - is the link using an absolute or a relative path to
> the directory it is pointing to? If it is a relative path, then is
> it a valid path when in /etc/skel? Maybe the program/script that
> sets up the new user's home directory does not copy bad symlinks...

I actually tried it both ways.

ln -s /opt/data/test .

ln -s ../../../../opt/data/test .

Neither one works.

After further experimentation, I'm starting to think there is something more
fundamentally strange going on here.

When I create a new user with the .dosemu directory already in place
in/etc/skel, I see this when I load dosemu and do a dir:

command.com
autoexec.bat
cpi
kernel.sys
help
bin
gnu
config.emu
config.sys
autoemu.bat
doc
dosemu
nls
tmp
appinfo

If I delete ~/.dosemu in my new user's directory and then run dosemu and do a
dir I see this:

autoexec.bat
config.sys
tmp

And that's it.

It seems to be looking in the wrong place for drive C: when the .dosemu
directory is in /etc/skel (and hence finding all of those files), and it
straightens itself out if it's allowed to create its own ~/.dosemu directory
instead.

I wonder what the difference is between a directory created from /etc/skel and
a directory created by the dosemu program itself.

The way that I make this /etc/skel is that I set up a desktop just the way I
wanted it, then made a tar from that and un-tarred it in /etc/skel and did a
"chown -R root.root /etc/skel"

Everything else out of /etc/skel seems to work the way I expected it to when I
create a new user, with the exception of dosemu.

It's not a major issue; I just have to remember to run dosemu and create the
symbolic link each time I set up a new user.  But I would still like to know
why it's not working the way that I thought it would.