VDQ : merging f7 configs

    On one, but only one, of our F7 machines yum update often pauses with
some such query as this :

Package nss_ldap: merging configuration for file "/etc/ldap.conf":
By default, RPM would keep your local version and rename the new one to /
etc/ldap.conf.rpmnew
What do you want to do ?
 - diff the two versions (d)
 - do the default RPM action (q)
 - install the package's version (i)
 - merge interactively with vim (v)
 - background this process and examine manually (z)
Your answer ?

	My default has usually been q, figuring the hotshots would pick
the safest thing as the default. Is that so? Should I be moving old files
to backups and .rpmnew files to current according to any particular
criteria? Is there any way of doing it in mass that's safe? The things
must be piling up, and in places I have no knowledge of ...

Fedora Core 6; CXO 5.0.1; Pine 4.64, Pan 0.119; Privoxy 3.0.3;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.16, Opera 9.02, Firefox 1.5