Re: Belkin Wireless G USB

John Pierce wrote:
Hello!

I posted this to the linux wireless list and have received not
response.  I thought maybe someone on the fedora list might have had
some success.

I just purchased a belkin wireless g usb adapter and am not having any
luck getting it to work.

The following is the output from various commands, if more info is
needed then I will post it back.

Distro: Fedora 7
Kernel: 2.6.22.4-65.fc7
Your not getting the updates. The kernel was updated this morning to I recall 97.
I have created a ifcfg-wlan0 file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
with the following:

GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
TYPE=Wireless
DEVICE=wlan0
BOOTPROTO=static
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
IPADDR=192.168.1.60
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
ESSID=thedungeon
CHANNEL=11
MODE=Managed
RATE=Auto
SECURITYMODE=open

   The above might be the problem. Your approach is not what you want.
I have a keys-wlan0 file in that same directory with the wep key for my router.

I set up a file named zd1211 in the /etc/modprobe.d/ directory with
the following in it.

alias wlan0 zd1211rw_mac80211

This is the output of dmesg immediately after inserting the usb adapter.

usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
usb 2-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
wmaster0: Failed to select rate control algorithm
wmaster0: Failed to initialize rate control algorithm
usb 2-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
zd1211rw_mac80211: probe of 2-2:1.0 failed with error -2
usbcore: registered new interface driver zd1211rw_mac80211

Using the kernel module names the kernel errored out. You are not using drivers that the kernel has in modules it appears.
This is the output of lsusb after inserting the adapter.

Bus 002 Device 007: ID 050d:705c Belkin Components
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 15d9:0a33
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

When I try the run ifup wlan0 this is the output.

zd1211rw_mac80211 device wlan0 does not seem to be present, delaying
initialization.

This is because the kernel does not have it.
Every thing I have read indicates that this device is supported in
linux, including the vendor and device id.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Yes it *might* be supported but you need to find out the proper linux name for the kernel driver and perhaps upgrade your kernel to the latest.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User