Re: CDRom has gone bye-bye

On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 15:36 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Chris wrote:
> > Ruh Roh - Seems my CDRom is AWOL w/kernel  2.6.22.5-76
> > Anyone?!
> >

>     My DVD read/write has been working fine through all the kernel changes.

Mine too, but he was referring to his CDrom. I can't imagine what would
screw it up though. If it gets REALLY into the toilet, open the case,
disconnect it, boot and edit the bios to make sure it's gone, finish
booting into Fedora and let it note you no longer have it. Erase any
hand-edits regarding the cdrom drive in /etc/fstab. Make sure the system
really sees it as gone. Maybe another reboot, just to be sure. Shutdown,
plug the cdrom back in, boot up, edit the bios, boot into Fedora and let
it discover it and don't hand edit /etc/fstab. It should automount and
be useful. Unless the kernel is borked. You have your older kernel to
boot with, before going through all of the above?

I call that procedure the "last-ditch intervention". <grins> I used to
have to do that with a cheapo sound card, every so often. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar