Re: Grub installation on a USB external disk

2007/9/26, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> antonio montagnani wrote:
> > a grub error, saying that:
> > error 17: cannot mount selected partition
> >
> > I am booting from the CD: note that if I connect the same USB disk to
> > another working computer I can see only /boot while LVM partition
> > seems to be disappeared.
> > If I run fdisk -l I see that an LVM partition is present... I suppose
> > that I have to change thread title ;-)
>
> I would expect to be able to see the LVM partition, but not be able
> to access the LVM file systems unless you are using a LVM-aware OS.
> (You may run into problems there is the LVM labels are the same.)
>
> As for the Grub error, I am going to have to go over my notes.
> (Where did I put them...) I suspect that for some reason Grub is
> trying to access the wrong drive, ether for loading stage 1.5, or
> when trying to access the /boot partition's file system.
>
> After the grub error, do you get the grub> prompt? I suspect not,
> because it probably can not load stage 2.

right, no grub prompt

But what is funny (let us say funny, as I had all my data backed-up),
I didn't change nothing on my system, I didn' install grub, and I was
still booting off my CD: I suspect that something happened to the disk
when it was attached to a Windows system and the USB system of Windows
detected it, may not clearly dismounted by M$???

Any idea how to recover the situation?? shall we change the title of thread???

> --

Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag