Re: moving F7

Roberto Malinverni wrote:
-----Messaggio originale-----
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 05:50:11 -0600
From: Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Moving F7 To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

I went through moving an entire existing F7, this one, from one hard drive to another. It worked but I had a real problem with initrd. This file has within it the partition it expects to find the system. I have it working right now since the /boot is in another partition from the rest of the system.

In theory if I do things just like on this hard drive on the new hard drive it should work. But I would like to know how to change initrd to work to a different partition than it was initially set for.

I did something similar in the past, but the initrd wasn't an issue - I
accessed the new / partition
with a rescue cd and edited fstab according to the new disk layout.
The initrd should be important when you need to load some drivers in the new
system that you didn't need in the old one (the modules for a new sata
controller, for instance).
Am I wrong?

Roberto

Your right, I want to put this F7 complete onto a new hard drive which is a SATA connected hard drive. My BIOS calls it an IDE drive for some reason :-)

It sure appears that the file in /boot can and does tell the kernel where /root is. Right now /root is in the /dev/sda5 partition. On the SATA drive it will in the /dev/sdf3 partition.

How do I tell it to look at /dev/sdf3? Is this how it works? You mention /etc/fstab. I can make that correct with no problem. Will that then let it load?

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User