Re: preemtible Kernel

On 9/26/07, Boris Glawe <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Fernando Apesteguía schrieb:

> > Non preemptible kernels are suited for servers
> > Voluntary preempt. kernels for desktops
> > Full preempt kernels for low latency desktops.
> >
> > It's just a matter of how many people are going to use the
> > distribution and with what purpose . I guess that a Red Hat Advanced
> > Server delivers a non preempt. kernel.
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> Thanks for the reply!
>
> So, what is the difference between "voluntary preemtible" kernels und
> "preemtible" kernels (what is a low latency desktop?). Wwho is doing
> what voluntarily here?

I can't say it exactly, but as far as I know "preemptible" is a more
fine grained preemption. Low latency basically produces (without
running into details) that your systems behave smooth and all the
applications and windows seem to be very responsive. This is intended
for games, music, movies and more. For example when you don't want
your movie to be stopped at some points because you run ls -R in a
terminal.

A server, on the other hand, has other requirements: speed doing calcs
for example or serving connections, but the server is not intended to
be responsive _in terms of user experience_ (click here, there open a
new window, open a music player, flash movies...)

> Would it be worth to recompile the kernel with "preemptible kernel"
> enabled, as I'm using my linux installation on  a desktop machine? Or is
> the gain only measurable but not noticeable?

It would be worth or not depending of the kind of use you give to your
sytem. If you can see movies, listen music, you have a good web
experince and more, maybe it doesn't worth.
But if you have some problems like the ones above, you should give it a try.

If your systems acts like a server and you want to get all the
performance you can, then you should try to disable preemption.

Cheers

Cheers