Re: How best (BUT WHY) get rid of SELinux?

----- Original Message ----
From: Rick Sewill <rsewill@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 1:05:19 PM
Subject: Re: How best (BUT WHY) get rid of SELinux?

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 10:15 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 September 2007, Paul Shaffer wrote:
> >The whole premise of this thead is just absolutely ridiculous.  A naive user
> > has an issue of some sort, immediately throws the baby out with the bath
> > and then every other uninformed Linux using imbecile on this list joins in
> > the stupidity.
>
> Yeah, well I'm one of those idijits you're referring to.  I have a problem, so
> since its a redhat/fedora problem AFAIK, I bring it here, and get told to
> take my problems down the hall to selinux_101's list.
>
> I do, get told the boilerplate answer to touch /.autorelabel and reboot.  I do
> so, several times.  I disable it in etc/sysconfig control file, doesn't help.
> No log now, but it doesn't help, I still cannot use any usb or serial ports
> on the machine except the mouse & keyboard.  Finally, Stephen Smalley says to
> add  'selinux=0' to the kernel line in grub.  Bingo, everything works.

I remember being called a Castrato by one person the last time a
discussion of SeLinux dominated this list.  I do not remember the
identity of that person after putting that person's email address on a
discard filter.

Nobody on this mailing list is an idiot.  We do not have Redmond
hand-holding us.  We need to know more, about hardware and software,
than the Mom and Pop Window's user.

Please people.  Do not go this route of fighting about SELinux again.

If there is a technical question on how to do something in SeLinux,
let's help find an answer.

If the question is, how do I remove or disable SELinux, let's help find
the answer.

If the question is, how do I still use SELinux and do something SELinux
wants to block, let's help find the answer.

If one has a good or bad experience with SELinux, please share the
experience in a calm way you would do when talking around the table,
with friends.  Please do not become vitriolic or attack others.  Please
do not insist upon having the last word.  Pleaes be considerate of
others.

It would be sad if my discard filter had to grow.  It would be sad if I
found myself on a discard filter.

This list is a way for us to help each other, to ask and answer
questions, to share experiences.

We share a common desire to run Fedora Linux software, or we would not
be part of this mailing list.

Peace.
----- End of Original Message ----

Dear All,

Rick you are absolute correct!  No need to call anyone names, because they like/do not like selinux.  This list is for help not for personal insults or attacks at any one person.  This list is for help/general topics in Fedora and Linux in general.

Selinux is something that you at your discretion run either disabled, permissive, or enforced.  You are in control, no one should force you to run your machine in the mode that they want, although it is recommended that you run Selinux at enforced mode and report bugs should they occur.  This is all on your own.  You are in control!

To find out more about selinux other than the Fedora Documentation

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SELinux

, which is changing everytime and some complaints that the documentation refers to FC5, please check out the following pages:

http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/info/faq.cfm

As for the distributions that carry/do not carry selinux check here:

http://selinux.sourceforge.net/

Also special thanks to the people that have helped when selinux cause trouble, Mr Walsh, Mr Smalley, ..., etc.  Without your help, selinux would suck more and cause more headaches trying to correct issues.    Thank you for your hard work and dedication.

BTW:  Mike if you read this message.  At one point you said you are interested in SLAX.  Slax is an awesome linux distro.  It is small and has a running linux straight from livecd.  It does not have selinux.  You can keep your Fedora installation intact and also run SLAX from LiveCD.  Good Luck and do not take the insults personal because of selinux.  Selinux is evolving and challenging.

http://www.slax.org/

Best Regards,

Antonio

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/