Re: Grub installation on a USB external disk

2007/9/25, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> antonio montagnani wrote:
> > 2007/9/25, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >> If you are booting the USB drive directly from the BIOS, then you
> >> are going to have a problem with this. When you boot that way, the
> >> USB hard drive becomes hd0 instead of hd1. Your laptop hard drive
> >> becomes hd1 instead of hd0. So you have to change all the hd
> >> references to reflect this. You may also want to change device.map
> >> to reflect this.
> >>

> > Tnx Mikkel for the help
> >
> > device map is like this???
> >
> > (hd0)     /dev/sda
> > (hd1)     /dev/sdb
> >
> > where sdb is the internal disk and sda is the USB disk.
> >
> > Tnx
> >
> It looks good to me. One thing I forgot to mention - make sure you
> change the setting for the splash screen as well. Otherwise grub
> tries to load it from the wrong drive and errors out. (I forgot
> once.) You then get the grub> prompt, and wounder why.

splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

is it correct???

> You may also want to back up the mbr of your laptop hard drive
> before running grub-install. If you goof, you can end up with a
> system that will only boot with the USB drive installed. I use
> something like "dd if=/dev/sda of=/root/save/sda.mbr count=1".
>

> --

I want to install grub on my USB disk, in order to start up any laptop
and in order not to srew my Vista system.
I think that I have to issue

grub-install /dev/sda

where sda is my USB disk and after booting from my CD.

tnx for patience.
--
Antonio
Skype : antoniomontag