Excessive kernel updates?

Hi all,

have there been excessive kernel updates lately?

I've only been following this list for a few months, so if this is a
FAQ, my apologies.

I used an FC4 box for quite a while, and don't recall ever catching a
kernel update after the initial install. Just recently (the week before
F7 was released in fact), I moved to FC6. What was that, coupla months
ago now? Today I caught what I believe is the 5th or 6th kernel update
since then.
Is this the normal cycle of things these days, or have there been an
inordinate amount of kernel updates being released?

Andy