Re: Internet traffic and Azureus -

Robin Laing wrote:

I think you are working backwards.

Close all ports and then open only the ones you need. Web and email and then go from there. As you find issues, then you open the necessary ports. Example, ftp.
Not sure I can do this with the Netgear router I have, not unless I listed all the ports which would be a major effort. As it is blocking "torrent" seems to prevent access to addresses containing "something.torrent." In addition I already have a number of undesirable sites blocked. I think I've probably got bittorrent covered now ...

Then if something doesn't work, they will have to come to you and find the issue.

On my router, I can open and close ports based on time so I could open certain ports after suzie and johnny are in bed.
I have a parental control program on the twins computer that does this and more.

I'm curious as to what router you have? I am considering buying another, perhaps Buffalo. I prefer to stay clear of Linksys after an episode getting a defective wireless adapter replaced. They eventually sent me a new one, it's still in the unopened box.

I've had two episodes of the router becoming inoperative in the last 48 hours! This router has been in operation for a year and a half without any problem at all. It can be easily configured via Firefox on this F7 box, worked fine until this weekend! Each time I lost radio contact with it until I went downstairs and pulled the power plug for a few seconds after which it returned to normal.

That causes me to wonder if it is subject to attack from the internet side, it doesn't have the stock password at least. With my other problems I am becoming paranoid.

Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia