Re: F7 sound not detected on swapping USB hard disk

antonio montagnani wrote:
2007/9/23, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
antonio montagnani wrote:
After sound detection ny modprobe.conf file has been modified to:

remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
}; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
I would remove this line, and re-run sound detection. It will not
fix your problem, but this line is supposed to store the mixer
settings when your sound card module is removed. I believe this is
for your old sound card, and one should be created for your new
sound card.

I have removed this line but no new line is created and modprobe looks
llike herebelow

alias eth0 tg3

options snd cards_limit=8
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel index=0
alias snd-card-7 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=7

shall I add lines manually???

I wouldn't. I find it annoying - I would rather save the settings
when I have them set how I normally use them, not when the system
shuts down. I may have changed things for some program, but I want
my normal settings back the next time I boot.

I am not sure why your USB sound device is set to be the 8th sound
card, but that should not cause a problem. What may be causing a
problem is that the snd-hda-intel module can have many
configurations depending on your hardware. You may need to do some
searching for the correct options. You may need to specify the model
or model=auto in the options line.

You mean by googling, don't you??? and model=auto in modprobe.conf

Googling, checking the web site for your laptop, maybe reading the
.pdf manuals, although they usually are not helpful for Linux.

Yes, you would add the model option to the option line in
/etc/modprobe.conf.

options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=auto
or
options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=ref

[....]

Mikkel
--

Hi  Mikkel,

Do you think Antonia have the same problem i encountered on my Acer TravelMate 6291 Laptop which also using Intel HDA

Sound problem on my Acer Laptop is solved by :
1. downloading dan installing ALSA driver I got from ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/alsa/snapshot/driver/
2. adding model=toshiba to  /etc/modprobe.conf
        options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=toshiba
Even though my laptop is actually acer (not toshiba).

yunus (Linux Newbie)