Re: F7 sound not detected on swapping USB hard disk

2007/9/23, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> antonio montagnani wrote:
> > After sound detection ny modprobe.conf file has been modified to:
> >
> > remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
> > }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
> I would remove this line, and re-run sound detection. It will not
> fix your problem, but this line is supposed to store the mixer
> settings when your sound card module is removed. I believe this is
> for your old sound card, and one should be created for your new
> sound card.

I have removed this line but no new line is created and modprobe looks
llike herebelow

> > alias eth0 tg3
> >
> > options snd cards_limit=8
> > alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> > options snd-hda-intel index=0
> > alias snd-card-7 snd-usb-audio
> > options snd-usb-audio index=7

shall I add lines manually???

> I am not sure why your USB sound device is set to be the 8th sound
> card, but that should not cause a problem. What may be causing a
> problem is that the snd-hda-intel module can have many
> configurations depending on your hardware. You may need to do some
> searching for the correct options. You may need to specify the model
> or model=auto in the options line.

You mean by googling, don't you??? and model=auto in modprobe.conf

> Also, check your mixer settings - you may have sound, but one or
> more of the controls may be set too low for you to hear it. I use
> the snd-intel-hda on my laptop, and if I do not specify the model, I
> do not get all of the mixer controls, and the sound ends up being
> very quiet. I end up missing some of the controls. With the correct
> controls, I can set things the levels properly.

That is my situation, I do not have most of controls, in particular
mike is not present.
Volume of playback is set high

> In an ideal would, the Linux settings would be provided with the
> laptop, as are the windows settings. (This is why the sound drivers
> for Windows tend to be laptop specific.)

I agree with you, when you buy a new laptop you don't know how much
you have to fight: very frustrating, I am not a super-expert, but
after about 8 years of Linux use, I am not a newbie too; and I suppose
that any newbie would revert immediately to Windows

Once you find the settings
> that work for your laptop, you may want to let the ALSA developers
> know, so hte next person will not have to fight with it.

I have also filed a bug to bugzilla

> Mikkel
> --

Antonio