Re: How best get rid of SELinux?

On Friday 21 September 2007, Andy Green wrote:
>Somebody in the thread at some point said:
>>> # touch /.autorelabel
>>>
>>> and a reboot.  This will make sure your files have the right selinux
>>> label, the cause of many problems.
>>
>> With all due respect Andy, I probably did that 6 or 7 times.  Not once did
>> it actually fix a problem.
>
>Well that will only fix "a problem" whose cause is a simple mislabelling
>or lack of the selinux label.  That has happened to me in the past
>upgrading machines with old Fedora versions or ones with filesystems
>that had previously been used with selinux=0.  You can also make the
>kind of problem this will fix by copying files, say from /var/www/html
>to /home and then mv-ing them back.  If your problem is different or
>more subtle then naturally it won't help.
>
>Maybe I have been lucky, but I have been able to figure out how to get
>around whatever selinux has complained about to me recently.  Only once
>did it need a local policy, to get gitweb working.
>
>So because that has been my experience, which I can see has been
>different to yours I accept, I am more positive about trying to get it
>working.
>
>-Andy

Just for grins, Andy, I fired up my lappy which has been running with
selinix=0 since the F7 install, did the touch /.autorelabel, then let it
update to the latest with smart.  That will install a newer kernel which I
haven't built an ndiswrapper for just yet, but will reboot and do that.  It
will be interesting to see if I still have a network connection through my
bcm4318 radio when its all done.  I'll remove the grub option and set it to
permissive before I do the final reboot.

Ok, an hour later its all done, rebooted to permissive, relabeled (took about
half an hour right there) ndiswrapper-1.48 installed.  And by golly its still
working, kdenetwork manager says the connection speed sucks, but I had to go
get the newest flash for seamonkey and that came in only about 10k slower
than my dsl connection.  The log is showing me a bunch of what I think are
bcm4318 related messages that look like stack traces, but it is running
despite that.  The messages are from:

 b43-phy0 ERROR: LO control pair validation failed (I: 111, Q: 111, used 1,
calib: 0, initing: 0)

And seemingly generated when b43 attempts to set the local oscillator.  Or is
that b43's way of bitching about the radio channel?  DamnifIknow.

Anybody got a clue to lend me?  Latest F7 kernel but I saw it on the previous
one before I rebooted to the new one too.

I left this message sitting on screen, and went to do some shopping for eats,
then went to the shop to cut the last two mortises in a side rail for a
cabinet, and when I came back in just now, the last such messages showing in
the messages tail were slightly different, but still generated a stack trace,
naming rfatt=6, bbatt=5, and was at 15:42 pm, its now 20:01.  Self repairing?

So, ATM I have not run into an selinux problem while running in permissive but
live mode.

Progress at making it more 'user friendly'?  Perhaps.  I'll leave it setup as
now & see how I fare trying to do my usual stuffs.

Maybe it will actually be usable when I install F8 on this box.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)