Re: no more sound...

On Friday 21 September 2007 10:05, Tom Speltincx wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i am running fc5 on my laptop, and everything was working fine, until i
> updated the system two days ago. i managed to solve most of the
> problems, but i still don't get any sound :-( i don't know what
> information i should include here in order to solve this. i got this
> message when trying to run the detection of the soundcard:
>
> Automatic detection of the sound card did not work.  Audio will not be
> available on the system.
> You can inspect /root/scsound.log and file a new bug
> at http://bugzilla.redhat.com.
>
> and the end of that logfile says:
>
> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/etc/alsa/ainit.conf'
> aplay: main:545: audio open error: Device or resource busy
> aplay: main:545: audio open error: Device or resource busy
> aplay: main:545: audio open error: Device or resource busy
> aplay: main:545: audio open error: Device or resource busy
>
> any help is kindly appreciated!
>
> cheers,
> tom

Hello Tom. Are you still running FC5? I ask because I couldn't find anymore
updates for it since it's come to end of life. If you did get updates for it,
what were they, that resulted in your sound problems. As user run:
rpm -q -a --last

Near the top of the list will be the latest updates.

Do you have any audio related stuff plugged into the USB? It wouldn't be the
first time that an update had caused, for instance, in my case my USB midi
keyboard to be set as card0, and the soundcard as card1, resulting in no
sounds. Please post output of:
cat /proc/asound/cards
Also the output of:
/sbin/lsmod | grep snd

Also post the output from /sbin/lspci -v (just the part for the soundcard)

Regarding the aplay "device or resource busy" errors. Sometimes these can be a
bit vague. Try running:
/usr/sbin/lsof -n | grep /dev/dsp

This should show if something is grabbing the sound card.

Are you using KDE, or Gnome? I use KDE, and am a bit clueless with Gnome.

have you tried booting with earlier kernels? I know this is a problem with the
default Yum, as it only keeps 2 kernels. I use Apt, and still have all my
kernels.

All the best.

Nigel.