Re: Whence Python?

Mike McCarty wrote:
Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Mike McCarty wrote:

I was reading http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD
and I wonder, why is a rewrite in Python perceived to be
an advantage to this tool? ISTM to be a silly waste of
time.

You seem to be confused. This tool is already in python and has been that way for a long time.

I know that I always seem confused to you, Rahul.

You did not answer my question as asked. You might try reading
it again, and answering it, or deferring to those who can
if you do not know the answer.

The question appears to assume already that this tool is not under python already (which I why I said you appear to be confused) and fedora-live cd list would have been more appropriate to ask this question anyway. I would suggest doing so for a more detailed answer perhaps.

Yes, I saw on the web page that that part of the project is
already done. I supposed that since I had already stated that
I had read the page, you would presume that I was truthful,
and observant enough to notice that.

A part of was written in python and the rest in in shell script as it was originally. Install it and check it out. Should be very easy to see that if you are using anything more recent than Fedora Core 2 now.

The original tool that was based on OLPC build tools was written as sheel scripts and wasn't meant to be published. It was used for a early release for Fedora Core 6.

Red Hat uses python heavily in many of its tools so there is developer comfort and preexisting bindings for most of the tools in Fedora.

The partial rewrite in python provides the ability to install to hard disk, integration with yum API (python) kickstart (via pykickstart) and Anaconda (which is PyGTK).

Rahul