Re: Need help configuring syslogd

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 10:31:07PM +0400, Andrew Junev wrote:
> Now I'd like to make something similar using Fedora's syslogd. I
> started with reading man pages and found that I need '-r' key to
> listen to external messages. That's fine. But I can't figure out how
> to put these messages to different files depending on the host
> (ip-address of the sending machine). And I also don't know how to set
> it up to create a new file each day.
> Is something like that possible at all?

You can't do this with plain old sysklogd. However, Fedora 8 will include
rsyslog, which is a drop-in replacement for sysklogd with the ability to do
what you want and more. You could almost certainly build the package from
the development tree for an older version of Fedora, too.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx          <http://mattdm.org/>