Re: LiveCD installer and home folder

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 15:24 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 23:15 +0800, Hikaru Amano wrote:
> >> does the harddisk installer from Fedora LiveCDs override the home
> >> folder? or is the home folder untouched like the normal Anaconda??
> >>
> >> I want to upgrade to F8T2 but only have the LiveCD for now ..
> >>
> > What you say is strange. Since when does Anaconda leave the /home
> > directory unchanged. That happens only id you have /home as a separate
> > partition and tell the partition program not to change it.
> >
> I thought that if you did an upgrade, the installer would leave
> /home alone. I am not sure what happens if you do an install but do
> not format the partitions. While that should leave /home alone, I am
> sure it would cause other problems.
>
> Mikkel
Well, the OP said that he did the install from the liveCD. I did not
think that this gives the option to do an upgrade. If you you do an
install and do not format the home partition then /home would be
preserved but under gnome at least your gnome configuration files would
have to be recreated.

My solution to this is to store a tar of your old home directory
somewhere. Then create the new user home directories and untar the tar
file using the -k option which does not overwrite files that already
exist.
Majority, n.: That quality that distinguishes a crime from a law.