Re: usb modem MultiTech MT5634ZBA-USB

How do,

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 21:56 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I am trying to intall a couple Multtech Modems on a F6 system and am
> having difficulty finding a starting place.  I would like to try my hand
> with some faxing software, but have not been able to get to the modems.
>
> When I run lsusb I get the following:
>

> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 06e0:f107 Multi-Tech Systems, Inc.
> MT5634ZBA-USB-V92 MultiModemUSB
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 058f:9360 Alcor Micro Corp.
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 06e0:f107 Multi-Tech Systems, Inc.
> MT5634ZBA-USB-V92 MultiModemUSB
>
> When I do a ls /dev/usb* I get the following:
>
> crw------- 1 root root 253,  0 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev1.1_ep00
> crw------- 1 root root 253,  1 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev1.1_ep81
> crw------- 1 root root 253,  6 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev1.3_ep00
> crw------- 1 root root 253,  8 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev1.3_ep02
> crw------- 1 root root 253,  7 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev1.3_ep84
> crw------- 1 root root 253,  9 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev1.3_ep86
> crw------- 1 root root 253,  2 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev2.1_ep00
> crw------- 1 root root 253,  3 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev2.1_ep81
> crw------- 1 root root 253, 10 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev2.2_ep00
> crw------- 1 root root 253, 11 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev2.2_ep01
> crw------- 1 root root 253, 12 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev2.2_ep82
> crw------- 1 root root 253, 13 Sep 14 19:50 usbdev2.3_ep00
> crw------- 1 root root 253, 15 Sep 14 19:50 usbdev2.3_ep02
> crw------- 1 root root 253, 14 Sep 14 19:50 usbdev2.3_ep84
> crw------- 1 root root 253, 16 Sep 14 19:50 usbdev2.3_ep86
> crw------- 1 root root 253,  4 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev3.1_ep00
> crw------- 1 root root 253,  5 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev3.1_ep81
>

> Can any of you point me to a tutorial as to how to connect these modems
> and access them on Linux.  I have a SCO box which uses
> regular /dev/tty1a devices, but I have not had any experience with usb
> ports.  I do not know how to connect the information supplied by lsusb
> with the /dev/usbdev*

Does the following document help?

 How do I install an MT5634ZBA-USB in Linux?

This document is designed to help install the MT5634ZBA-USB in Linux.
You must have the most recent kernel, 2.4.2 or higher. You will also
need specific modules for installation, they are explained below. The
MT5634ZBA-USB has been tested successfully in Mandrake 8.1 and RedHat
7.2. Please read the whole document, as some steps depend on how the
Linux system was built. You need to select the USB Modem (CDC ACM)
support kernel option. If you build as modules, you need to install the
acm.o option. You need to set up the device node entries for the various
modems. You can use up to 32 modems with this driver. Use the following
commands to set up the first four:

    mknod /dev/usb/ttyACM0 c 166 0
    mknod /dev/usb/ttyACM1 c 166 1
    mknod /dev/usb/ttyACM2 c 166 2
    mknod /dev/usb/ttyACM3 c 166 3

    You should now be able to use a terminal emulator program to attach
to this device and connect to your modem or other terminal device. If
your current version of Linux has the ACM driver compiled into it, then
you’re ready to roll. If it has the driver built as a module, then
you’ll have to enable the driver with the following command:

    modprobe acm

    At this point, you may have to unplug the modem’s USB cable and then
plug it back in (this isn’t necessary if you’re using kernel 2.4.X). You
should see the modem’s lights come on. If you see some activity lights
on the modem, type the following:

    lsmod

    This command will display a list of loaded modules. The ACM module
should be displayed as loaded. Now that you’ve got the driver loaded,
you need to set up the device node (in /dev) for the modem. You can use
up to 32 modems with this driver, but most people will only need to
configure one. To set up a modem, use the following command:

    mknod /dev/usb/ttyACM0 c 166 0

    You should now be able to use a terminal emulator program to attach
to this device and connect to your modem or other terminal device. Going
one step further, you can set up a symbolic link from /dev/modem to the
ACM modem device. This is accomplished by using the following command:

    ln -s /dev/usb/ttyACM0 /dev/modem

    That way, KPPP and related applications can all refer to the modem
as /dev/modem without caring what type of modem it is.

    Models: MT5634ZBA-USB

If the above document doesn't get you going, send me a private email &
I'll have a Multi-Tech Systems, Inc. Technical Support Rep. get in touch
with you ;-)

> Thanks for your help!!!

You're welcome :-)

> Greg Ennis