Re: F7 problem with squid - please help

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 23:44 -0400, William W. Austin wrote:
> A couple of weeks ago I had to replace an ancient firewall machine (h/w
> failure).  That machine had been running FC3 without problems for well
> over a year, and it was my proxy server running squid.
>
> I thought that I would upgrade the O/S, and I installed F7. (Mistake?)
>
> Everything else works fine, but I now have spent several days trying to
> get squid working properly.  My config file
>
> I suspect a squid vs selinux problem, but I am stuck at this point.  I
> cannot tell for sure but I think that port 3128 is getting blocked.
> netstat -a doesn't show the port to be in use.
>
> If anyone with any pointers, web links, etc., can help, I would greatly
> appreciate it.  If I can't find a solution in the next few days, I'll
> have to try a more drastic approach.
>
> When squid is booted, neither access.log nor squid.out ever contains
> anything, and all machines (linux and windoze) get access denials from
> the squid server.  (They can all ping the machine and it is possible to
> telnet into it from them, so I know the i/p connections work.)
>
> I see the "normal" start and stop messages in /var/log when squid is
> started and stopped (but only those).
>
> If you need more info please write me and I will post it.
>
> Somebody please help - I don't want to have to reinstall FC3 and put
> the old backup tapes on ...
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --
> william w. austin                               waustin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."

William,

I have had a similar problem and could not get squid to work until I
disabled selinux.  l would prefer to use selinux, but have not been able
to get it to work with everything else so far.

At least if you turn selinux off you will get to see if the problem is
related to squid configuration or selinux.

Greg