Re: WSJ: Mossberg takes the Linux bait and snarls ....

On Friday 14 September 2007, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 12:29 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >It seems to me that Mossberg has identified a terrific business
>> >oportunity. Someone for $50-$100 will configure all the things he feels
>> >currently are obscure to configure. It only has to be configured once
>> >and then mass copied.
>>
>> This complaint has been the order of the day for the synaptics touchpad
>> used in a lot of lappies.  And it is one reason I run a little gizmo
>> called synaptics that shuts it off, and I use a pluggin wireless mouse
>> instead.
>>
>> Fusses about it here, or on the lkml, are either ignored or teased about
>> cuz I supposedly can't type.
>>
>> Of course I can't type when my thumbs must be pulled back against the
>> wrist and taped in place with several turns of duct tape.  That of course
>> makes it difficult to hit the spacebarsomywordscomeoutalljumbledtogether.
>> Strangely, I don't have to be near as carefull on those rare occasions
>> when I have it running XP.
>>
>> I've asked politely, and I've asked obnoxiously, the same question:
>>
>> When is the touchpad going to be fixed?
>>
>> I'm a mostly retired broadcast engineer, the type that makes the high
>> powered transmitters you watch tv from work.  I deal routinely with high
>> voltage power supplies capable of sucking a megawatt+ from the powerline
>> under fault conditions.  Its pure hell to be composing a long technical
>> message, to people who just barely understand that turning on a light is
>> done by making metal to metal contact in the light switch, only to have
>> half of it highlighted by one misscue of that POS, and erased by the next
>> keystroke because you don't see it quickly enough when working from and
>> reading notes, nor can you stop typing that fast.  More than one of my
>> messages, or a record file of what I'm doing has been converted into total
>> gibberish by such actions in 50 milliseconds.
>>
>> Or it can also cause a switch screens, any way to screw up what you are
>> doing, it WILL find a way to do it.  Seriously folks, the touchpad needs
>> fixed.  If winblow$ can do it, why can't linux?
>
>gsynaptics and (I think) ksynaptics both let you adjust the sensitivity
>of the touchpad, the length of time for a double tap, and what scrolling
>areas are active.  In addition, syndaemon is a clever little thing that
>inactivates the touchpad entirely while keys are being clicked.
>Somehow, you should be able to use those tools to  come up with an
>acceptable arrangement.  If not, there is are more settings available
>via the synclient CLI tool.
>
>Windows only has a single desktop area, so switching screens isn't an
>issue there.  Also, I notice most Windows users seem to fill the screen
>with whatever window they are working in, and the fonts are generally
>huge.  So switching windows isn't an issue if that's your work style.
>If you keep the mouse cursor outside of your typing area, then
>accidental tapping won't move the I-bar.

Thanks, although the advice is a bit late, I rather like the mouse, it doesn't
do anything I don't tell it to do.  Thrifty too, I only have to feed it a
battery every 6 mo or so, & no papers to change in its cage.

>Gene, are you a western Pennsylvanian?  "Needs fixed" is an idiom I
>remember from Pittsburgh days...

Nahh, Old Iowa farm kid, born in Des Moines back in 34.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)