Re: WSJ: Mossberg takes the Linux bait and snarls ....

On 09/13/2007 12:23:49 PM, Max Pyziur wrote:

Taking bets, how much longer til Walt comes around?

Linux's Free System Is Now Easier to Use, But Not for Everyone
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118963540721725614.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Mossberg Looks at Ubuntu Linux on a Dell (Verdict: Not Quite Ready for Primetime)
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/pulp-bite/mossberg-looks-at-ubuntu-linux-on-a-dell-verdict-not-quite-ready-for-primetime-299432.php

Well, after peeking at both articles, I'm not sure it will be "real soon now" for "Walt to come around". Although Uncle Michael might be able to make it happen quite soon by changing the way the laptop is loaded with Ubuntu. The touchpad problem belongs to Dell certainly, as others have pointed out the needed software which I gather is open source.

The hassels with mp3, and proprietary devices is another problem class. I think most of the challenges there are legal, and while lawyers _love_ money (cheap jab for me), Dell has to make enough profit to make the challenges go away. I'm not sure that is possible.

Of course, YMMV, IANAL, and it is possible that I'm blowing smoke from the nether regions...