Re: Sound in Fedora7 on a VPC2007 virtual machine?

On Sun, 2007-09-09 at 20:11 +0200, Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 07:40:33 -0700, stan <goedigi89__e@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >Bo Berglund wrote:
> >> As can be seen in my thread concerning successful installation of F7
> >> in VPC2007 I am still missing sound support.
> >> It is very strange because if I enter the menu command
> >> System/Administration/Soundcard detection
> >> I get to a window where I can test my emulated soundcard (Soundblaster
> >> 16) and it produces really nice sounds.
> >>
> >> But when I go to the menu command
> >> System/Preferences/Hardware/Sound and enter the Sounds tab where there
> >> are a number of system sounds to select and test, there is no sound
> >> when I click the play buttons.
> >>
> >> So what is the problem here?
> >> (Someone suggested to check the Alsa Mixer, but that did not lead
> >> anywhere).

Bo, you should be able to test those sounds you are selecting as you
select them. You might be lacking an rpm that actually contains those
files, but the names of the files that =should= be there aren't?

I use KDE, so sound files are in /usr/share/sounds and I found
KDE_Glass_Break.ogg in my pick list in control center.
I use locate then to find where KDE_Glass_Break.ogg really is thusly:

[root@iam ~]# locate KDE_Glass_Break.ogg
/usr/share/sounds/KDE_Glass_Break.ogg
[root@iam ~]#
And yes, there it is. Now I am certain that IF I select that filename
that it really exists and that using rpm -qa |grep ogg I get:

[root@iam ~]# rpm -qa |grep ogg
jakarta-commons-logging-1.0.4-6jpp.1
libogg-devel-1.1.3-3.fc7
libogg-1.1.3-3.fc7

I have the libogg libraries installed for playback. Hope this helps. p/s
you also might have to turn "system sounds" to "on" with a check box, as
you have to do in KDE, through the control panel. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar