Re: Gnome-panel grief in F7

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007, Frank Cox wrote:

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 19:44:45 +0000 (UTC)
Beartooth <Beartooth@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

What the blazes is wrong? Is there some suicidial applet that takes the workspace switcher (and, it sometimes seems, the whole window- manager) down with it whenever it self-destructs? What can I do??

Try this when it happens (as your username, not root)

killall bonobo-activation-server

killall gnome-panel

I tried it twice; both times it blinked and redrew the panels -- incidentally putting the vertical one over the left side of the terminal, instead of vice versa -- but *not* fixing the workspace switcher.

That appears as a very thin line on the bottom panel; if you can get the cursor *exactly* on in and right-click, it lets you into the switcher's preferences, but changing them helps not at all.

The bar across the top of the window, btw, is there -- but it doesn't take on color when you click within the window, and you can't move the window by grabbing it and dragging. And the terminal window accepts input from the keyboard only if the cursor is on it.

After the double try, I logged out and back in. No joy. Tried again, and rebooted; no joy.

Yesterday I opened pirut and told it to remove gnome entirely; it did, taking KDE (!) and itself with it. I commanded yum install pirut and opened it with "pirut &", then told pirut to get first gnome then KDE; then I went through the options for each; did yum clean all, rkpm --rebuilddb, updatedb, yum update; rebooted. None of that helped, either.

--
Beartooth Oldfart, Double Retiree, Neo-Redneck, Linux Convert
Remember, I have precious little idea what I am talking about.